what i've got in my baskets:
resistance band (wish i had a few more of these)
two yoga mats (one thicker one, one thinner one)
dumbbells (2 of each: 5 lbs, 8 lbs, 10 lbs, 12 lbs, 15 lbs and 20 lbs)
i don't need anything more than twenty for the most part because let's be honest - i do a lot of things, but "lifting heavy" isn't one of them. if i am (on the off chance) doing a workout that requires more than 20 lb weights (basically squats are the only exercise that fits the bill for me) i'll take myself to the gym for that workout.
there are a TON of reasons i like working out at home, but here are my top 5:
1. you can wear whatever you want! i have certain workout gear that i'm not quite sure i'm bold enough to wear in public, such as a pair of short spandex shorts i bought on a whim pretending i was hollie before realizing that those shorts were writing a check my ass couldn't cash. there are times where i get down to the bare minimum in terms of available outfits because i haven't done laundry in a while and home workouts are perfect at that time because then i can wear the things i wouldn't be caught dead in out in public.
2. falling is much less embarrassing when no one is there to see it. pretty much the only company i have in my apartment is good old redbear and he doesn't laugh at me when i'm attempting scorpions and falling all over the place while i do it. or jumping lunges - don't get me started on those. lots of times if i get to a move that i know i can't really do at the gym, i'll skip it or modify because i'm embarrassed about doing it in front of people. this means i never get better. i have (almost) mastered scorpions by now and it's only because i was able to practice them in the comfort of my own home.
3. you can multitask - clear out your dvr while doing elbow planks? use your rest time to unload your dishwasher? the possibilities are endless. i love that my gym has tvs on all the cardio machines but lots of times they don't work or i'm too annoyed scrolling through the channels one by one to actually find something fun to watch, so i like having remote control over whatever it is i want to watch while i work out. and i STRETCHED yesterday for the first time in forever because i was able to do so while watching paula deen.
4. refueling is only a few steps away! i get super hungry after workouts and if i have to drive home from the gym (lots of times doing errands along the way) i end up getting back to my apartment completely ravenous and snack mindlessly while i'm prepping dinner. if i work out at home, i can either take the time to make a better snack (shakes are my favorite) or immediately start getting dinner ready as soon as i'm done.
5. it's SO much quicker. even if it's a longer workout, taking the time to drive to the gym, get ready in the locker room and then drive home takes a long time! it's so great to be able to quickly get dressed, get my sweat on and be done with it all and already be home. at the end of a long day with the kiddos, sometimes i lose motivation altogether just from thinking about how long the whole process will take.
what about you guys - do you ever work out at home? what are your favorite at home workouts?